Crazy Colorful Fabric Bookmark
NOTE: this is not a product that is shipped.
featuring Kreinik holographic threads
• scraps of Christmas fabric (or scraps of any fabric - this is a fun way to recycle textiles)
• Kreinik holographic thread colors in a variety of thread weights (we used threads from the Make Mine 3-D Holographic thread set)
• sewing needle or sewing machine (optional)
• red felt for backing
• mini wooden spools, buttons or other as desired for a “tassel”
• pinking shears (scissors)
• sewing machine (optional)
• clear monofilament thread, glue (optional)
1. Cut a 3” x 7” piece of red felt.
2. You will be making a textile sandwich, with red felt in the back, layers of fabric scraps on the felt, then decorative threads on the fabric scraps, all sewing together using the threads. So begin by laying a scrap of fabric or scraps of fabric on the felt in random spots, then stitch them to the felt with the Kreinik holographic threads either by hand or sewing machine. Suggestions to get you started:
• use Kreinik Blending Filament in the needle of your sewing machine (use any bobbin thread, stitch slowly) in a zig zag stitch.
• couch Kreinik #16 Braid and/or 1/16” and 1/8” Ribbon with a clear monofilament or contrasting Blending Filament color, use a straight stitch, side by side, or decorative stitch to couch down the heavier metallics.
Have fun and play with threads. Don’t be perfect - be random, mistakes are ok, knots are even ok. This is free-form textile art.
3. When you have finished playing with the threads and top embellishments, trim the fabric pieces so that they are roughly even on the outside edges. Then trim your felt using pinking shears.
4. Attach a button at one end of the bookmark.
5. If using little wooden spools, wrap holographic thread around them just to cover the spool (glue the thread end to secure). String the spools onto some extra holographic threads, make a super large knot in one end to keep the thread from coming back out (or use a button like we did in the photo), then attach/tie the fibers to the button on your bookmark.
Click here to download the FREE instructions for this design. You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print this file.
Would this product be useful in your business (ie, manufacturing, teaching, retail)? If so, you could benefit from bulk quantities at wholesale pricing. To open a wholesale account, we require a copy of your business license on file. Send a copy along with your business name and contact info to:
- Kreinik Customer Service Department, 1708 Gihon Road, Parkersburg, WV 26101 USA
- or fax it to 304-428-4326