Steeves’ Firefly Pattern
This item is not shipped
- Hook: #12, 14,16: Tiemco 5212, Orvis 1638, Mustad 94831
- Thread: 6/0 Black or Orange
- Wing Case: Kreinik 1/8” Ribbon Black Hi Lustre #005HL
- Body: Orvis 1/8” thick closed cell black foam, cut into 1/8” wide strips
- Underbody: 3-4 strands of peacock herl
- Butt: Kreinik Medium #16 Braid Glow in the Dark Lemon-Lime (Yellow) #054F
- Wing: Either 1/8” Kreinik Ribbon or Kreinik Heavy #32 Braid in Mallard #850 or 085
1. Wrap first half of hook shank with thread. Tie in wing case material (use about a 6 inch piece) to the bend of the hook (end of shank).
2. Wrap thread forward 2/3 length of hook shank, tie in foam strip and wrap backward to bend of hook, even with wing case material.
3. Tie in butt material (about a 6” piece) and wrap thread forward enough to allow two to four wraps of butt material forward (two on the smallest hook, and four or more on larger fireflies). Wrap butt material forward(3 wraps on a #14 hook), and tie down on top. Trim off excess butt material.
4. Tie in 3-4 strands of peacock herl in front of butt and wrap thread forward to within about 1/8” of hook eye. Wrap peacock herl forward and tie down. Trim off excess herl. Wrap thread back and then forward through herl for reinforcement.
5. Fold foam over and forward to form body, tie it down about 1/8”back from the eye of hook and trim to leave a head extending to or slightly over the hook eye. Save excess foam for more bodies.
6. Tie in winging material at the point where the head and body join. Wings should extend back no further than the butt. Trim forward portion even with front of head.
7. Separate winging material evenly on both sides of the body, fold wing case material forward and tie down. Trim wing case material even with front of head and save excess for more flies. Whip finish.
Note: You can substitute brighter colors of 1/8” Ribbon for the wing case such as 051F, 052F, 053F, 054F or 055F. These colors will make the fly easier to see in the water.