Wooden spool Christmas ornaments
NOTE: this is not a product that is shipped.
Wooden Spool Ornaments
With vintage charm, they can be easily—and quickly—made up in batches for a sewing club, nursing home, or even to sell at a holiday bazaar.
- Bag of large wooden spools (available in wood aisle of craft store)
- Fabric scraps trimmed to width of spool
- Red and green satin ribbon (we used 1/4" wide ribbon)
For beaded ornaments:
- Treasure Tape 1" roll (if using spools with 1" wide design area)
- Treasure Tape 1/8" roll
- Micro beads from a craft store (tiny beads without holes)
- Kreinik #12 Braid in 015, 003, 002
- Kreinik 1/16" Ribbon in 008, 002, 032
- shallow pan or tray
For iron-on ornaments:
- Kreinik Iron-on 1/8" Ribbon in Pearl and in Red
- Kreinik Iron-on #16 Braid in Pearl
- Kreinik Teflon Press Cloth
- Mini iron
Instructions for Iron-on ornaments:
1. Turn your iron onto the highest heat setting and let it heat thoroughly.
2. Using double-sided Treasure Tape or your favorite glue, attach fabric scraps to the spool.
3. Begin thread decorating by laying one end of your Iron-on Braid or Ribbon on the fabric-covered spool. Cover with the Teflon Press cloth and press with your hot iron for several seconds until the thread adheres. Continue this way, working your design in sections. We used the braid and ribbon to write the word "Joy" but you can create your own design too.
4. Attach the satin ribbon as a hanger either by knotting the ends and slipping it through the spool's hole, or by gluing the ends inside the spool's hole.
Instructions for beaded ornaments:
1. Using double-sided Treasure Tape or your favorite glue, attach fabric scraps to the spool.
2. Lay strips of the thin Treasure Tape roll on the spool. Remove the red liner to expose the top sticky area.
3. Begin thread decorating by laying the Kreinik ribbon in your desired pattern. Fill in with the Kreinik braid as desired.
4. When thread decorating is complete, lay your spool in a shallow pan and cover remaining sticky areas with micro beads.
5. Attach the satin ribbon as a hanger either by knotting the ends and slipping it through the spool's hole, or by gluing the ends inside the spool's hole.
Would this product be useful in your business (ie, manufacturing, teaching, retail)? If so, you could benefit from bulk quantities at wholesale pricing. To open a wholesale account, we require a copy of your business license on file. Send a copy along with your business name and contact info to:
- Kreinik Customer Service Department, 1708 Gihon Road, Parkersburg, WV 26101 USA
- or fax it to 304-428-4326