Floral Dream wall hanging
NOTE: this is not a product that is shipped. Click the link below to download the PDF.
Quilt Block embellished with Kreinik Iron-on Threads
Designed by: Barbara Swanson
Supplies needed for one quilt block, approximately 8 1/2" x 11"
- Kreinik Iron-on Metallic Braid in these colors: - 6200 Daffodil - 6450 Royal Blue - 6580 Violet - 6300 Meadow - 6350 Green - 6255 Harvest
- Assorted fabrics: - muslin or tone-on-tone ecru print (9 1/2" x 12") - purple solid (9 1/2" x 9 1/2") - blue print (7" x 7") - light green print (7" x 7") - medium green print (6" x 6") - dark green print (7" x 7" plus 12" x 14" for the backing) - brown print (5" x 12") - optional square of 1 1/4" yellow print
- Low-loft batting, 10" x 13"
- Fusible webbing
- Kreinik Press Cloth
- Crochet hook, size g/6 (4 1/4 mm)
- General supplies: scissors, iron, water soluble fabric marker, quilting thread (ecru), sewing thread to match backing, needles (quilting, sewing and crewel), and pins
- pattern downloads (four pages) - see pdf link below
note: the term "piece" refers to the cut fabric pieces
1. Wash, dry and press all fabrics. Set muslin and block backing aside.
2. Following manufacturer's directions, fuse the webbing to the back of the remaining fabrics.
3. Cut fabrics according to the patterns (download the patterns).
4. Lightly mark the "fabric layout" onto the muslin front. Note that some pieces extend beyond the edges. These will be trimmed off later.
5. Fuse a length of 1/8" Green iron-on thread, extending from just under the base of piece 3 to under piece 5. Fuse and layer in order: pieces 1, 2, and 3. Fuse a length of #8 Braid in Meadow along the edge of piece 3.
6. Fuse piece 4 in place. Fuse lengths of #8 Braid Meadow and #16 Braid Green to create veins. Fuse a length of 1/8" Ribbon Green along center to just under piece 5.
7. Fuse piece 5 in place. Fuse a length of #8 Braid Harvest along one placement line and a length of #16 Braid Harvest along the remaining line.
8. Fuse pieces 6a, 6b, and 6c in place. Fuse lengths of #8 Braid and #16 Braid meadow and Green, as desired, to create veins. Fuse lengths of #16 Braid or 1/8" Ribbon Green or Meadow, as desired, along the centers.
9. Fuse 7a and 7b in place. Complete as in step 8.
10. Fuse piece 8 in place. Fuse lengths of 1/8" Ribbon Violet along the placement lines.
11. Fuse piece 9 in place. Fuse lengths of #8 Braid Royal Blue along the placement lines.
12. Floral center option one: With 1/8" Ribbon Daffodil and crochet hook, chain 5 and join with a slip stitch to form a ring. Chain 1, 8 single crochet into ring, join end with slip stitch and fasten off, leaving 6 to 8" length of thread. Position crocheted round on block and stitch thread end through layers. Fuse round in place and thread end to the back of the muslin.
12b. Floral center option two: Fuse piece 10 in place.
13. Trim away pieces that extend beyond the edges of the muslin.
14. Center and layer backing (wrong side up), batting and completed block. Baste layers together.
15. Edge quilt along outer edges of the design.
16. Trim muslin and batting to even edges, leaving backing free. Trim backing, leaving 3/4" border all around.
17. Fold backing toward front, pinning under the raw edges and mitering the corners to form a narrow binding. Stitch in place.
Download the templates here:
Would this product be useful in your business (ie, manufacturing, teaching, retail)? If so, you could benefit from bulk quantities at wholesale pricing. To open a wholesale account, we require a copy of your business license on file. Send a copy along with your business name and contact info to:
- Kreinik Customer Service Department, 1708 Gihon Road, Parkersburg, WV 26101 USA
- or fax it to 304-428-4326