Silk Heart Brooch Pattern
Note: This item is not shipped
Designed by Kathleen Power Johnson
Silk Serica is a 3-ply, twisted filament silk with a magnificent, rich sheen. It is soft and luxurious to the touch, and it makes an excellent crochet thread for creating elegant accents and heirloom jewelry.
Use a non-greasy hand creme to keep the silk from snagging on rough spots.
- 1 reel of Silk Serica in these colors: 1092 Lightest Wood Violet, 1105 Medium Dark Mauve
- Size 9 (1.25mm) steel crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 3 to 5 small pearls
- dental floss threader or sewing thread and fine needle
See "Abbreviations & Definitions" at the end of the page.
- With color 1092, make slip knot leaving a long tail. Pull a loop through slip knot, ch1, 5sc into loop.
- Rnd 1: With color 1092, ch3, dc11 covering sc loop (12 sts). Sl st to top of ch. Tighten opening by pulling tail.
- Rnd 2: Ch2 (=1hdc), hdc in next st, hdc2, (hdc2, dc), tr, (dc, hdc2), hdc2 in each of next 2 sts, (hdc, dc), (dc,tr,dc), work 1 slip st for center of heart, (dc, tr, dc), (dc, hdc). Sl st to top of ch 2.
- Rnd 3: Join color 1105. Ch 3 (= 1dc), dc into 1st and foll 6 sts. (Dc, tr, dc), dc in next 8 sts, dc2, (dc, tr, dc), (dc, hdc), sc in center, (hdc, dc), (dc, tr, dc), dc2, dc in next 2 sts, sl st to top of ch 3.
- Rnd 4 (ruffle): Ch 4, sk 1, post stitch (sc around back of dc post), (ch 4, sk 1 st, post st) 11 times. At the center point: ch 4, post st around center bar 2 rnds below, cont (ch 4, sk 1 st, post st) ending ch 4, sl st to base of ch 3. Fasten off.
- Rnd 5 (ruffle): Join color 1119, to top center st. Ch5, sc in sk st from previous rnd, (ch5, sk 1, sc) around heart, ending with sl st into 1st st. Fasten off.
- To Finish: Run in ends. Draw center together by running tail of original slip knot around opening and fastening. Bring this thread through to center on RS, thread 3-5 pearls onto tail, insert needle back through center of heart and fasten off.
- Hints: Post Stitch: Insert hook from front to back around stem of dc, pull up a loop and complete stitch as usual. To thread pearls: Using a nylon dental-floss threader, insert silk thread through loop, pull pearls onto threader stem, over loop and onto thread. Alternatively, use a fine sewing needle threaded with a short piece of sewing thread. Knot ends together to form loop. Insert silk thread through loop and pull pearls onto needle and over thread loop as just described.
Abbreviations & Definitions
- ch chain
- St, sts Stitch, stitches
- sl st slip stitch
- sc single crochet
- hdc half double crochet
- dc double crochet
- tr triple crochet
- tc turning chain
- RSR right side row
- V-st (dc, ch 1, dc, ch1)
- Bobblework 4 dc into same st, retaining one loop from each, yo, pull through all loops) yo yarn over hook sk skip a stitch
Would this product be useful in your business (ie, manufacturing, teaching, retail)? If so, you could benefit from bulk quantities at wholesale pricing. To open a wholesale account, we require a copy of your business license on file. Send a copy along with your business name and contact info to:
- Kreinik Customer Service Department, 1708 Gihon Road, Parkersburg, WV 26101 USA
- or fax it to 304-428-4326