Easy Halloween Decorative Candle
Note: This item is not shipped.
Skill Level: For All, Time: less than an hour
Make your home cozy and decorative this season with simple handmade touches like this quick candle wrap. We choose Halloween colors for our model, but you can easily change the ribbons and thread to match your decor or any holiday. Have fun with the idea — the technique is so easy, you'll want to make decorative wraps for more things in your home! Great gift idea too...
- two ribbons that fit around your candle (one of the ribbons should be wider than the other)
- Kreinik Treasure Tape™ rolls (as wide or smaller than your ribbons—the 3/4" Treasure Tape roll and 1/4" Treasure Tape roll are versatile sizes)
- Kreinik Iron-on Medium #16 Braid in your choice of colors (we used color 6255 Autumn)
- Kreinik Teflon Press Cloth or Adhesive Press Cloth
- mini craft iron or household iron
Note: if your iron is not Teflon-coated, you will want to use a press cloth between the thread and the iron, or apply a Kreinik Adhesive Press Cloth to your iron (several sizes are available). Apply the Adhesive Press Cloth while your iron is cool and unplugged.
- Turn your iron on to the highest heat setting and let it heat thoroughly.
- Decide what you want to "write" on your ribbon. You may wish to type it on your computer in a particular font. Use this as a template to follow.
- Begin "writing" with the iron-on braid on your smallest ribbon: Lay the thread at a starting point, cover with the Teflon Press Cloth, and press for several seconds until the thread adheres. Continue working your design this way, in sections. If you make a mistake, you can peel off the Braid and rework the section.
- Wrap the double-sided Treasure Tape around your candle in the desired position. Remove the red liner to expose the top sticky area, then lay your widest ribbon on the tape.
- Lay another piece of Treasure Tape on this ribbon, remove the red liner, then place your decorated ribbon on top, wrapping it around the candle. Options for finishing the section where the ribbon ends meet: glue or tape a large button, flat stone, or tie your ribbons into a bow.
Note: Do not leave any candle burning unattended, and don't let the candle burn down to the decorative ribbon area.